Friday, March 18, 2016

Selecting Interior Paint and Budget

After hours of looking at paint colors on rooms in Houzz, looking at color chips, I finally settled on 12 different possibilities.  I purchased samples of these and painted them on some extra sheet rock that I had scavenged when they were finishing the sheet rock.  I ruled it down to three colors for the main living areas and three colors for the master bedroom, office and one of the guest rooms.  I painted samples on the walls and looked at them in various lights and then gave my husband two options.  I am sooo pleased with the outcome.

We did go neutral, but we did not go "white" -- which is the "in" color for 2016.

I wanted to paint my doors dark -- a color called Black Fox by Sherwin Williams, but the painter wanted $1,000 to paint them -- so that is a project for a different day.  They also wanted $1000 to paint ceilings white in the guest bedrooms

Our color selections were:

SW7546 Prairie Grass -- all other rooms


SW7844 Amazing Gray -- Master, office, Master bath, guest bedroom #2
SW7004 Snowbound -- trim


We have tray ceilings in the formal dining, living, and master bedroom.  Our builder allowed us to do faux finishes on these prior to moving in or installing the floors.  Fortunately, we had access to scaffolding -- which made this all possible -- as ceilings are 12' or higher in dining and living and 11' in master

For the Dining -- I used Ralph Lauren's Polished Patina in English Earth -- easy to put on and looks fabulous
Master Bedroom Ceiling -- custom mixed the Ralph Lauren Polished Patina in one of the metallic colors "Wedding Bells" -- love it
Living room ceiling -- dark brown faux glaze -- applied with paint brush, dappled 2 coats with plastic bags, brushed final coat; I like the finished product, but it was a pain.

Again, I held my breath and stressed over these selections -- as definitely not anything that I want to redo in the near future. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment